It is not exactly known when these islands were first inhabited.
Pleistocene sediments found along the coastal areas around Kandivali in northern Mumbai suggest that the islands were inhabited since the South Asian Stone Age.
The islands were leased to several Portuguese officers during their regime.
The Portuguese Franciscans and Jesuits built several churches in the city, prominent being the St.
Between the second century BCE and ninth century CE, the islands came under the control of successive indigenous dynasties: Satavahanas, Western Satraps, Abhira, Vakataka, Kalachuris, Konkan Mauryas, Chalukyas and Rashtrakutas, The Delhi Sultanate annexed the islands in 1347–48 and controlled it until 1407.
During this time, the islands were administered by the Muslim Governors of Gujarat, who were appointed by the Delhi Sultanate.
From 1665 to 1666, the English managed to acquire Mahim, Sion, Dharavi, and Wadala.
Bombay in the 19th century was characterised by economic and educational development.
During the early 20th century it became a strong base for the Indian independence movement.
Following his defeat, almost the whole of the Deccan came under British suzerainty, and was incorporated into the Bombay Presidency.
The success of the British campaign in the Deccan marked the end of all attacks by native powers.